Friday, 16 September 2016

Introduction, Nicole S

Hello everyone! Lovely to meet you.

I have a real soft-spot for bullet lists (began no interesting introduction, ever). They're unpretentious but still have a systematic logic to them, are visually pleasing, and they give me the sense that someone is being frank because there's little room for rhetoric. Also - and here I'm reading the room - they're pretty great for quick reference in future, given their clarity/ brevity. Maybe this is just a case of laziness breeding familiarity breeding taste over time, but this is all to say that I hope nobody minds what is about to happen and that my intentions are pure.

Standard info
  • BA Sociology, minor philosophy McGill
  • MI CIPS concentration, Thesis option
  • Research interests: scientific publishing, open access, visualization, bureaucracy (Weberian theories esp.)
  • I want to integrate my aptitudes for illustration and design into my career. Would love to make some comics some day. 
  • Have spent equal amounts of time in my life in city, suburbia and small Northern Ontario towns.
''Fun'' info
  • Some of my most intellectually invigorating friendships have been maintained via email for years now; I really enjoy communicating with people this way.
  • I went on my first solo bike tour (1000k, 2 weeks around Northern Ontario) and really loved it, hope to go again. I walked up a lot of the hills. Also, I only stayed on one highway so I didn't have to navigate. 
  • On completing creative projects vs. creating rigorous research, even though I force myself into the latter all the time: "Still, for me at least, writing a novel is buttering warm toast, while writing a history is herding porcupines with your elbows" (Thomas King). 

2 comments:

  1. After this beautiful defence of the bullet list, I went back into my post just to toss some more bulleted points in there.

    Definitely also snort-laughed at that Thomas King quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I moved from Ireland, I've had the experience of sustaining relationships through email - so I totally hear you on that one. We've been able to plumb depths that I don't think would happen with a Skype or a phonecall.

    ReplyDelete