Friday, 30 September 2016

Digitizing Anthologies

For this week’s blog posting, I thought it would be interesting to look close to home at a little piece of UofT digitization history. The example that I’ll focus on is Representative Poetry Online (RPO) (http://rpo.library.utoronto.ca), an online poetry anthology that is hosted by the University of Toronto.

First published in print as Representative Poetry in 1912, this anthology served as a course reader for first year English literature classes. This collection reflected the literary canon that was studied at the time of its publication. As Prof. Ian Lancashire notes in his essay on the history of this anthology, the books “covered only the 18th and 19th centuries, from Pope to Morris, because the first-year literature courses at Toronto…were limited to readings in those periods” (2001). The work was compiled by Faculty of the University of Toronto and published by University of Toronto Press.

In 1994, after the publication of multiple printed editions, the anthology was digitized and launched online as a pilot project. Now, more than two decades later, the project has flourished into the massive online anthology that it is today, featuring “4,800 poems in English and French by over 700 poets spanning 1400 years.” This is a huge progression from the original 1912 printed edition, which contained only “92 poems by 14 poets as well as eight anonymous ballads” (Lancashire 2001).

What fascinates me about this digitization project is the editorial choices that were made when creating an online representation of the printed text; particularly how certain functionalities of the printed edition were kept, altered or enhanced. As Johanna Drucker articulates, “[r]ather than thinking about simulating the way a book looks, then, designers might do well to consider extending the ways a book works” (Drucker 166). Although in the context of her article Drucker is referring to the design of e-books, I think this concept can be extended to a website that represents (and perhaps even transforms) a printed text.

Despite obvious formal differences between the printed and online versions, the online anthology borrows traditional aspects of the book and enhances them by adding interactive functionality. Features of the printed version have in effect been reconfigured for the web. For example, the printed version offers a straightforward and chronologically linear table of contents; the web anthology, on the other hand, offers various options for browsing. One can search by poet and publication date (as in the original printed version) but also by rhyme scheme, literary movement, location, etc. Another example: the printed text has traditional footnotes located at the back of the book; the web version has hyperlinked footnotes, facilitating navigation between the text and the notes.

One possible critique of RPO is that its multiple enhancements detract from the academic objective of the original anthology. Alternatively, one could argue that these interactive features enhance the educational experience.

The example of RPO encourages discussion about the value of digitization for educational purposes. While the original printed edition demonstrated a set of values (it was intended for a relatively small, scholarly audience), the web version demonstrates a new set of values; it is widely accessible and features interactive content which can result in an enhanced experience for the user. An academic resource has been transformed based on critical choices about representation.


References

Drucker, Johanna, "Modeling Functionality: From Codex to E-book." In SpecLab: Digital Aesthetics and Projects in Speculative Computing, 165-75. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2009.


Lancashire, Ian, “A History of Representative Poetry.” Representative Poetry Online, University of Toronto. 2001. Accessed September 30, 2016. http://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/content/history-representative-poetry

4 comments:

  1. That's really wonderful that the anthology has expanded to include so many poems! Does using this kind of source for their English class mean that the students don't have to buy a poetry textbook? If so, that's truly wonderful. In my first year undergrad english classes (3 on 3 different time periods) we had to buy a different, extremely expensive, anthology for each class. The anthologies were thousands of pages long but we usually only studied 20-30 poems in each (since the classes also included novels and plays--for which we had to buy other textbooks). Online anthologies are so much more accessible and sound to me like a huge improvement to this textbook situation.

    It also always makes my day when an online source has hyperlinked footnotes because footnotes (and especially endnotes!) are such a pain otherwise.

    I was going to say that the RPO sounds like an improvement in every possible way to me, but then I remembered that I also always liked to heavily annotate the poems I studied in class, which it doesn't sound like the RPO enables!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so torn on this! I definitely have about 6 poetry anthologies from my time in undergrad that went pretty much unused, save for a look at a few poems, and they were all definitely expensive. But I still can't seem to get rid of them! For the minimal use I did get out of them, I *was* able to annotate - I don't think I could give up my annotations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my poetry anthologies too. But boy, did I struggle with finding stuff in them at the time. The paper in some of them was so thin, they aged so quickly in my bag (probably one of the reasons I didn't resell!). I found myself using older editions and tried to locate the missing course readings from other sources.

    I always found myself wanting clean copies of the poems I loved but the ones I loved were the most annotated...

    ReplyDelete