Friday, 16 September 2016

A little about me

Hello everyone,

It was great to get to know a little bit about you all during Monday's class, and now this is a great opportunity for us to learn more about each other! Here's a little about me...

I graduated from the University of Toronto-Mississauga in June 2016 with majors in Communication, Culture, Information and Technology, and Professional Writing and Communication. During my time at UTM, I served as co-captain of the competitive dance team and Editor-in-Chief of Professional Writing's non-fiction journal, Mindwaves. I came to the iSchool because I had a great undergraduate experience and I wanted to keep learning more! I'm in the Culture and Technology concentration, but I look forward to sampling classes from the other concentrations for my electives.

I moved from the suburbs to the big city a few weeks ago, leaving behind my two feline friends, Allegro (who is basically Garfield) and Pixie. I travel at any chance I get. This summer, I went to Australia for a few weeks and explored Queensland and New South Wales. I cuddled a koala, chilled with kangaroos, went white water rafting, surfed and took a 4WD trip down the world's largest sand highway where I encountered a dingo. I love coffee, hiking and attending concerts. My favourite concerts I've been to are Beyonce, The Who, Lady Gaga and The National.

As I mentioned during my introduction in class, I wrote a non-fiction book, "Bloom," during my final year at UTM. Being a culture and technology student I probably shouldn't admit this, but I've never used a Kindle or purchased an e-book (gasp!). I also haven't made my book available as an e-book yet. I want to learn how digital practices have become entrenched in the book and related processes, and how this changes social contexts and our interactions with the materials.

I look forward to spending the semester with you all!

Best,

Laura Gillis


2 comments:

  1. Which National concert were you at, Laura?

    I saw them at the Opera House around the time Alligator came out - they were incredible.

    BTW - another amazing fact about me is that I share my birthday with Beyonce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had tickets go to see The National when Trouble Will Find Me came out, but I wasn't able to go because of a family emergency, so I ended up seeing them at Riot Fest in 2014! They were amazing though. Matt Berninger crowd surfed on top of us and I fan-girled like crazy.

      Wow! You must feel so honoured to share a birthday with pop royalty, Queen Bey :)

      Delete