Growing
up, my dad always played The Who at our house. At the age of seven, I memorized
the lyrics to “Pinball Wizard” and would perform my own version alongside the
concert DVD of Roger Daltrey, John Entwistle, Keith Moon and Pete Townshend at
Woodstock. Years after I performed these living room concerts, I began to
fiddle with my parent’s record player. I flipped through their extensive vinyl
collections to find Tommy – the album
with the track “Pinball Wizard.” Tommy
is a double album, containing 24 tracks. This album is a rock opera that
follows the life of Tommy, who becomes blind and deaf after witnessing his
father murder his mother’s lover (The Who, 1969). He feels the world through
music, but is considered “a freak” by society (Sanders &
Dalton, 1969). The album begins with Tommy being born, follows his
experiences in life, and ends with him being liberated from his numbness to society
(The Who, 1969).
The Who performing at Woodstock in 1969
Source: Henry Diltz
The two records are
two sided, each side containing a certain number of tracks (The Who, 1969):
-
Disc one, side one contains six tracks
(approx. 17 minutes)
-
Disc one, side two contains four tracks
(approx. 22 minutes)
-
Disc two, side one contains eight tracks
(approx. 13 minutes)
-
Disc two, side two contains six tracks
(approx. 18 minutes)
Since Tommy is a rock opera, I believe the
band strategically ordered and arranged the tracks on certain sides of the
record in order to tell the story of Tommy. Most operas, musicals and other
types of performing arts have intermissions. I have been to musicals where
there is only one intermission and ballets where there are at least two
intermissions. I offer that these intermissions are to split up the plot of the
story and give the audience the opportunity to digest the performance. I think
that in the case of Tommy, finishing
a side of the record and flipping it over is the equivalent to an intermission
in a performance. When one side of the record has finished, the listener can either
flip the record over right away and continue the story or give themselves an
“intermission.” They can listen to the four sides all at once or take pauses
between the sides to reflect on the content of the songs.
Source: Wikipedia/Polydor
Vinyl limits the
minutes of music contained on the record and holds approximately 22 minutes on
each side (Vinyl, 2016). As you can see above, the minutes of music on each
side of Tommy vary. The Who could
have distributed the songs equally over the four sides, but I think they made a
conscious choice to arrange the songs the way they did to portray the story of
Tommy to the listener. On each side, Tommy goes through different experiences
and realizations about himself and society (The Who, 1969). I don’t believe the
track listing on each side is arbitrary, but instead splits up the music to
portray the boy’s journey to the listener.
When
this album became digitized to mp3 format, I believe that some of the choices
the band made while creating the vinyl album were discarded due to the nature
of digital formats. In a digital download version of Tommy, the track list is continual and there isn’t an opportunity
for “intermissions” like there is in the vinyl version. If you buy Tommy (Remastered) on iTunes, you will receive
24 tracks in a row. The digital download isn’t able to offer the listener the
experience of having “intermissions” between the different instances in Tommy’s
journey on each side of the vinyl records. Sperberg-McQueen (1991) says “representations
are inevitably partial, never disinterested; inevitably they reveal their
authors' conscious and unconscious judgments and biases” (p. 34). I believe
that the arrangement of the vinyl album was a deliberate judgement and artistic
choice from the band, one that is unable to be represented in digital format.
iTunes also offers
a super deluxe version of Tommy,
which includes 70 tracks (final cuts, Pete Townshend demos and live Canadian
concert versions) and the deluxe edition, including 45 tracks (final cut
versions and live Canadian concert versions). These digital copies provide the
consumer with many different options of how to experience Tommy, a feature that the double vinyl album does not have. These
are choices that the digitization process enabled.
I think a small
solution to the “intermission” dilemma could have been to display the track
list in their “acts” on the album artwork of a CD. However, CD’s are not
popular anymore and the music world has mostly moved to mp3 downloads or
streaming. I’m unsure how the sectioned track list could be shown on a digital
version. Vinyl sales have been reported to have increased over the past few
years. In 2014, the U.K. expected vinyl sales to exceed 900,000, so it is
possible more people will listen to Tommy through the physical vinyl copy (G.M.,
2014). Both the digitized version and vinyl version of Tommy present the listener with different experiences of how to
enjoy the story of the boy trying to navigate his way in society through music.
References
Sanders, Rick
& Dalton, David. “Townshend On 'Tommy': Behind the Who's
Rock Opera.” Published July 12, 1969. Rolling Stone. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/townshend-on-tommy-behind-the-whos-rock-opera-19690712
G.M. “The Rebirth
of Records.” Published June 3, 2014. The
Economist. http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2014/06/vinyl
Sperberg-McQueen, C.M. "Text in the Electronic Age: Textual Study and Text Encoding, with Examples from Medieval Texts." Literary and Linguistic Computing6, no. 1 (1991): 34-46. [http://go.utlib.ca/cat/7731513]
The Who. Tommy. 1969. London, England: Polydor.
Vinyl Record.
“Vinyl.” Chicago Mastering Service. Accessed
September 28, 2016. http://www.chicagomasteringservice.com/vinyl.html


While doing some research for this blog post, I ended up on The Who's official website and found another example relevant to this course. I attended their "The Who Hits 50" concert in spring 2016 (a dream come true!). I clicked on the "Store" link, because I love band merchandise, and found that they are selling "live show digital downloads" from each of their destinations of their tour. This really excited me because I felt like I could have a "souvenir" from the concert that was personalized (other than the tour t-shirt I purchased at the show). I've purchased many "live versions" of concerts I've been to before, but none of them were from the exact venue I had attended. Concerts vary from venue to venue and this digital download of all their songs will preserve my memory of the night I had dreamed of for so long. One thing that I was surprised about when I bought the digital download and began listening to it, was that they made the decision to include many of the "talking bits" between songs. Some of these talking bits include histories of the songs and their love for Canada (except for Justin Bieber). I thought this was interesting because I've never experienced that before with any "live concert" version I've purchased. This choice they made personalized this digital copy even more because the bands' dialogue is unique to that Toronto show. During digitization, the band could have made the choice to cut out all the talking bits and stick strictly to the songs, but instead they made the choice to include them.
ReplyDeleteThe Who. (2016). The Who Live Toronto.
That sounds like such an amazing experience, and what a wonderful souvenir to have from it! I guess you'll basically be able to re-live the experience whenever you want!
DeleteThis concert to CD example is interesting to me because I've listened to CDs before that included the "normal" version of a song and then also a concert version of the same song. I personally always preferred to listen to the "normal" version, just because I found the talking and yelling in the background of the concert version distracting. I always considered the "normal" version to be the real version and the concert version to just be bonus. But your post has made me realize that that's obviously not really the case. Is there a "real" version? If anything it's the actual concert you listened to in person, in which case the souvenir download you have is about as close a representation of the real thing as you can get. But I guess it all depends on which interpretation of the original suits the purposes of the listener!
You bring up a great point! What is the "real" or "normal" version? I agree with you - I think the interpretation of this question depends on the intent of the listener. For me, this live version is special because it's a good quality documentation of my experience. But I do agree with you in the sense that I have many live versions of songs, but I usually chose to listen to the studio recorded version (maybe this is because I didn't experience the concert so I don't have an emotional attachment to the recordings). Your comment brings up a really great point that made me think about the live/studio recorded version even more!
DeleteOn the subject of Laura's "Talking Bits": The hip-hop artist J-Zone released an e.p.about 10 years ago made entirely of Jimi Hendrix samples. In addition to sampling Hendrix's music, J-Zone uses the between-song banter from live concert recordings to hilarious effect: he records himself responding to Hendrix's statements and questions, crafting a conversation out of those vocal snippets.
ReplyDeleteI love Jimi Hendrix so thank you for pointing this project out! I think that's an interesting example of how the digital format can play with and manipulate existing music to create a whole new song and experience. This could be used an example of remix culture - how J-Zone took Hendrix's music from the 1960s, remixed it, and turned it into music in the 2000s. Great music lives on.
Delete