Hello everyone!
It was really great to meet everyone last week and hear
about all your various backgrounds. My
name is Katherine Power and I’m a 1st year MI Archives and Records
Management student. Before deciding
to dive back into the world of academia, I was an Apprentice Aircraft Maintenance Engineer working on helicopters in Yellowknife, though I travelled
around the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Alberta, and British Columbia quite
a bit as part of my job. (Yes, including
the Arctic Circle. 24 hour daylight
takes some getting used to!)
![]() |
| I often walked to work in the winter. This was not the coldest day I experienced. |
Prior to being a wrench wench, I got my BA with an honours
in Anthropology from St. Mary’s University in Nova Scotia. I spent 2 summers digging in the dirt at the
Grand-Pré National Historic Site as well as one summer digging in the dirt on
the Mongolian steppe.
![]() |
| We brought a pool table with us, because archaeologists have got their priorities sorted. |
Prior to that, I
got a Bachelor of Music from Mount Allison University in New Brunswick. It made sense at the time.
I’m excited about this class because I’ve been fascinated by
the history and evolution of books and the written word for years (in my
copious amounts of spare time I enjoy practicing calligraphy) and I’m really
interested in the various ways books continue to evolve. Ebooks, audiobooks, graphic novels,
interactive technologies, why sometimes holding a book is still preferable to
reading a screen – if it has to do with how we interact with words, I’m
interested. As someone who owns both a tablet and a dedicated e-reader, I love having the ability to bring hundreds of books
around with me at all times. But despite
moving across the country several times in the past few years, there are still
boxes of books I refuse to give up and will ship to wherever I currently find
myself. And I don't think I'm alone in that.
I look forward to seeing you all in class!


Katherine, that photo of the pool table in that landscape is amazing! I want to paint it! I hope you have that framed.
ReplyDeleteIt is definitely my go-to photo when I want to show off some off the craziness of that field season! The top came off and was stored inside the ger (yurt) we used as an office/lab. Which worked out well as we had a giant snow storm one day! The landscape is amazing and you should definitely paint it.
DeleteIt is the firs photo that is blowing my mind - that must have been crazy cold!
ReplyDeleteWeirdly, it wasn't super cold. But my perception might be skewed. Anything above -20 was considered "not too bad". :D
DeleteI totally agree, despite how much room it takes up I always pack at least one book wherever I go. The only time I read ebooks is when I am waiting for it to come in because I have it on hold.
ReplyDelete