Hi everyone!
My name is Tracy Sallaway, although my UTmail address still uses Armstrong (just to make things confusing).
As mentioned in
class, I have an undergraduate degree in Biology as
well as a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Applications Specialist diploma
from Fleming College. I have been employed full-time with Trent University
Library in Peterborough for the past nine years as a GIS Support Specialist. I
love my job with Trent, as I have the opportunity to assist students and
faculty working on fascinating research projects from a variety of disciplines,
particularly environmental science and archaeology. I am a part-time student in
the IS&D program, and (if all goes well) will be graduating this December
(YAY)!
I have taken many technical classes throughout my time at
the iSchool. Although there was a bit of systems theory thrown in, most of
these courses focused on practical implementations of systems architecture and
modeling scenarios in a business environment. Now that I am exclusively focused
on electives, I have felt the need to stretch my intellect in different ways
through taking more of a theoretical approach in my course selections. Although
this course applies to my current job in terms of the life of digital artifacts,
I am looking forward to examining and discussing the role that various media
play in terms of social context rather than simply looking at the technical
implications of formats and preservation tactics.
On a personal note, I try to balance days of sitting in an
office with leading an early-morning boot camp, adventure racing, gardening,
and reveling in the chaos and hilarity of parenting two insanely beautiful
kids. I am also a certified Level I Reiki practitioner with the hopes of
continuing in this area following my graduation from the iSchool. Life is full
and busy and amazing and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.
I look forward to hearing everyone’s perspectives on class
topics this term and I hope that I can add value and insight to our conversations!
Just to be clear, is running an early morning boot camp a euphemism for raising two kids?
ReplyDeleteThat's how it feels getting mine fed and to the bus stop sometimes ;)
Ha! No, the boot camp is part of what keeps me sane :) I know exactly what you mean, our place is a circus in the mornings.
Delete