Friday, 28 October 2016

Reading Habits

Regardless of genre, the length of a text generally dictates which platform I'll choose to read it on. I’m happy to read snippets of information and relatively short excerpts on a screen. But if the text - whether it's an academic journal article or a piece of prose fiction - is very long, I'll opt for a printed version. My evaluation of a text’s length is instinctive, and so it is difficult for me to define (I realize that “very long” is vague!). When I approach a text, I determine intuitively how I want to read it.

This approach to reading may be based on a simple physiological reason: I find reading long texts on a screen visually straining. But I think there may be another reason, which is that if I choose to read a text on my computer, I'm more likely to fall into a state of passive reading, skimming words but not absorbing their meaning. When I read a printed text, I am more likely to actively engage with it, annotating it and marking it. Although one can annotate digital texts, I don’t think the tactile experience is the same as annotating a hard copy. Through reading and writing I synthesize, process and integrate new information. I find that when this manual process is lost, as is the case when I read texts on screen, this learning experience doesn't always happen.

I feel ambivalent about e-readers. I have a Kobo but I've only used it a handful of times (mostly when travelling). I appreciate its portability and certain features (such as the built-in dictionary), but if given the choice I will always read print before digital. An interesting experience I can share: I read Eliot's Middlemarch on both my Kobo and in a print edition. Comparing the two experiences, I preferred reading it in print because the text was more comfortable to read, albeit a long and cumbersome book. These innate and charming characteristics were lost in the e-reader.

All that being said, there are some documents that I prefer to read on screen simply because a printed version doesn't exist (or would involve killing too many trees to print!) or is inaccessible. For instance, facsimiles of primary source documents that are available in online databases. Another example: the TEI guidelines which we had to read for the encoding challenge (it would have been burdensome to print them out!).

I think Maxwell in his article “E-Book Logic” makes a good point by invoking Darnton and others who state that "all books are 'born digital' and have been for decades" (Maxwell 2013, 29). Although books are now spawned in a digital environment, I believe the readership for print books will continue to endure.

References

Maxwell, John W. "E-Book Logic: We Can Do Better." Papers of the Bibliographical Society of Canada 51, no. 1 (2013): 29-47.

5 comments:

  1. When you mentioned the "long and cumbersome book" I began to wonder if there were people who were attached to reading novels in the triple-decker format of the Victorian period.

    There's some interesting points in this article that highlight the fact that price-fixing and formatting of books has been affecting readership for a long time: http://www.victorianweb.org/economics/mudie.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was an interesting read. Thanks for sharing, Ewan!

      Delete
  2. It's so interesting that you decide how to read a text based on its length! Although I don't usually do that myself, I've had a similar but reverse experience--once I was reading a long, thick fantasy novel, that had just come out and so was only available in hardcover. It weighed a ton and was just so cumbersome to carry around that I switched to reading the ebook instead! I also definitely agree with you that there is something about the "manual process"of physical book reading that helps us synthesize, which screens make difficult. When you read Middlemarch as both a physical book and an ebook, did you notice a big difference in your comprehension and retention of the story between the different formats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did notice a difference! I found that it was much easier to understand and retain the material when I read it in print. And if I needed to recall a particular event in the story, it was much easier to flip back to the specific pages in the print edition than it was to try and locate the event within the electronic "pages" of the ebook.

      Delete
    2. Very interesting! That's been my exact experience with ebooks, too. Physical books just give you a better level of control over the pages, for flipping back and forth etc... At least for now!

      Delete