It was difficult for me to choose a digitization project that uses TEI –
there are so many diverse projects with interesting subject matter. However, I
chose to examine the Emily Dickinson Archive because my group and I are
encoding several of her envelope poems for the encoding challenge and I wanted
to delve into Dickinson’s larger works. I was unaware there was an existing
encoding initiative for Dickinson’s work and I was interested to see the encoding
choices the Archive made.
The Emily Dickinson Archive is an “open access” resource that includes all
of her manuscripts, ranging from drafts to finished poems. The website displays
images of the poems, along with “transcriptions” from multiple editions (“Emily
Dickinson Archive”). The Archive plans to expand the Dickinson
collection in the future, such as including images of Dickinson’s letters (“Overview”).
The project is described as a starting point for “scholarship to be produced,
rather than being viewed as “a work of scholarship itself” (“Overview”).
One of the inspirations
for the Emily Dickinson Archive was that Dickinson’s manuscripts are very old
and delicate, so there is limited access to handling or viewing the materials (“Emily
Dickinson Archive”). This initiative allows students, readers, scholars, etc,
to have access to Dickinson’s work without being constrained by the limits of
physical access. The website allows the user to zoom in/out and search the poem.
The benefit of having an image of the poem gives the user the opportunity to
understand the physical attributes of the text without actually holding it, such as her
handwriting, the details of the ink, the paper she chose to write on, etc.
Another inspiration for creating the Emily Dickinson Archive was to compile all
of her texts in one space. Harvard
University started this digitization project, but several educational
institutions and libraries contributed material, such as the New York Public
Library and the Yale University Library (“Emily Dickinson Archive”). The
physical texts are spread geographically so an individual can not view
multiple texts from different locations simultaneously. The digital archive
gives users the opportunity to view multiple texts “donated” from multiple
institutions.
Source: Screen Shot of "Houghton Library - (142a) If I may have it, when it's dead, J577, Fr431, http://www.edickinson.org/editions/2/image_sets/74978#search-panel=1&work-panel=0
I was very surprised
that The Emily Dickinson Archive provided the extent of the TEI information
that they did. On the website’s “About” page, it discusses how the project uses
TEI XML to encode her manuscripts and also provides a link to the TEI website.
The archive hosts multiple editions and has encoded each of them separately (“About”).
Users can download the text as TEI which shows the encoded text and credits (“How
to Use”). I thought this was really beneficial because the user can view how the
text was encoded and how different elements were tagged. However, if the user utilizes
the TEI produced by the Archive, they need to display text attribution that
complies with the Creative Commons license for the website (which is further
outlined under their Terms of Use section) (“How to Use”).
In “Collaboration and
Dissent” by Julia Flanders (2012), she discusses how standard encoding language
is key for collaboration between two co-workers, organizations, people in
different geographical locations and even through time (p. 73). Considering Dickinson’s
texts have been contributed to the Archive from multiple institutions spanning several
geographical locations, TEI assists in making documents easily shareable to any of the involved parties. Since this is such a large
collection of works, I assume multiple people collaborated to make this Archive
possible and having a standard would have made this process more fluid.
One of the challenges
the Archive found was attempting to capture the different revisions Dickinson
made to her manuscripts (“Emily Dickinson Archive”). “Textual Scholarship and
Textual Encoding” by Elena Pierazzo (2016) says that TEI enables users to
better describe textual features (p. 308). I think this is an interesting point
because the TEI can highlight textual elements that might have not been
apparent at a first glance.
Pierazzo (2016) also
discusses how TEI allows the text to “go beyond what print can afford” (p. 311).
I think this is particularly true because all of her texts have been
consolidated to one online resource despite the physical copies being scattered
throughout libraries and institutions (“The Emily Dickinson Archive”). Printed documents also
have the ability to appear in one place, but in this instance, the TEI gives
readers the ability to enjoy all of Dickinson’s writing from any technological
device in any geographical location.
References
“About.” Emily Dickinson Archive. Accessed October 12, 2016. http://www.edickinson.org/about
“Emily Dickinson Archive.” Text Encoding Initiative. Accessed October 12, 2016. http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Projects/em01.xml
Flanders, Julia.
"Collaboration and Dissent: Challenges of Collaborative Standards for
Digital Huma nities." In Collaborative Research in the Digital Humanities, edited
by Marilyn Deegan and Willard McCarty. Burlington, VT: Ashgate, 2012.
“How to Use.” Text
Encoding Initiative. Accessed October 12, 2016. http://www.edickinson.org/use
“Overview.” Emily
Dickinson Archive. Accessed October 12, 2016. http://www.edickinson.org/about
Pierazzo, Elena.
"Textual Scholarship and Text Encoding." In A New Companion to Digital
Humanities, edited by Susan Schreibman, Ray
Siemens, and John Unsworth. Oxford:
Blackwell, 2016.

Not sure if you have seen the work of Jan Bervin. She is a visual artist who has done some really cool things with Dickinson's poems, including these works which show the positioning of the dashes in the poems wile omitting the text. They are embroidered, which resonates with the textile origins of the word text: http://jenbervin.com/projects/the-dickinson-composites-edition
ReplyDeleteFor the encoding challenge, Evelyn, Taylor and I encoded some of Dickinson's poems, and we actually used Bervin's "The Gorgeous Nothings" book to reference images of Dickinson's envelope poems. It was interesting to compare the choices Bervin made in the digitized versions of Dickinson's poems with the choices our group made. I had not seen her embroidered series, but I just checked it out and they are beautiful. It's interesting to think about the different ways you can represent text, not just through digitization, but other methods as well. Thank you for showing me this!
DeleteIt's neat to see that we're not the only ones using the TEI and XML for Dickinson's works! Although I guess it shouldn't be that surprising. I'm interested to hear if you learned anything helpful for our encoding of the envelope poems from this project and how their strategies differ from ours!
ReplyDeleteAt first I was surprised as well, but then I thought about it and since Dickinson's poems are so delicate, it makes sense why people would encode them so that they can be seen worldwide, while still being able to understand the tactile elements of the poems. It was interesting to compare their code to ours, although I would be like to discuss with them their reasoning behind choices they made. If only they had a rationale like we wrote!
Delete