Those few ebooks I read were mainly things that I couldn't get as physical books. For example, this year I fell in love with the fantasy author N.K. Jemisin, and a few of her short stories are only available as ebooks or online (this one for example). These feel like kind of "bonus" stories that probably wouldn't get published at all without the more economically safe digital format. Striphas (2009) examines ebooks and the capitalist economy and concludes that ebooks are leading to the intensification of consumer capitalism and "the emergence of new practices of controlled consumption" (p. 45). So, for example, we have DRM - Digital Rights Management - that limits how we can share and interact with an ebook. But some of the new practices emerging through ebooks are things that benefit both the consumer and the creator, of which this kind of "bonus" content by favourite authors is just one example.
In general however, I really prefer to read print when reading fiction, because I've found that I don't have as long-lasting connections with novels when I read them in non-physical formats. In 2014, in contrast to these last two years, I read 36 ebooks (39% of my reading). This is because I spent two and a half months in Greece, and only brought my little kobo ereader. However, even though I enjoyed many of these books, I don't remember them very well. I could blame this on the fact that I was travelling rather than on the digital format, except that this forgetfulness is opposite to my usual experience: when I've read physical books when travelling, I've remembered them better than I usually would.
Steven Johnson (2010) writes about the interactivity of digital texts and asks, "what’s the point of going to all this trouble to build machines capable of displaying digital text if we can’t exploit the basic interactivity of that text?" This made me think about how many of these forms of interactivity are new to digital texts--such as copy-paste, or sending a link to someone--while much of the interactivity of physical texts is impossible to capture through digital formats, at least at this time. For example, things like being able to physically feel one's progression through a book by the thickness of the pages left is a sensation that ebooks can't capture yet. Johnson also notes that "the idea of a purely linear text is a myth," and while he is talking specifically about how readers create meaning from many sources at once in a non-linear way, I think there are other, more mundane ways that books are non-linear. Things like flipping to the end of a chapter to see the number of pages left for example, or looking something up in the book's glossary, or even just running your fingers through the remaining pages in a novel as you read. All of these things are non-linear to the main progression of a text, and ebooks make all of these things more difficult, if not impossible to do, thereby forcing the novels they display into a more linear form. Although I only have this personal anecdotal evidence, I really think these kinds of physical interactive and physical non-linear aspects of books create meaningful links and connections within our minds through their physicality that can give a book a more lasting presence in our memory.
I've had similar experiences with audiobooks in that I tend not to remember them as well as physical books, and I usually won't listen to an audio version of a book I am particularly anticipating. However, lately I've been discovering that, at least for fiction, audiobooks have more unique advantages over physical books than ebooks do: they enable multitasking, for example, and they can also provide a completely different experience from the physical book, through the reader, which I talked about in a previous blog post. Maybe if ebooks could develop more of these unique advantages that audiobooks have--other than just exclusive content like the short stories I mentioned above--I would read more of them.
To touch briefly on some texts other than novels, I will note that I do prefer to read some things on a screen, such as the news for example (rather than in a newspaper). Reading the news online makes it easier to share things I find interesting with my friends or family. Johnson (2010) notes that this is a fundamental aspect of digital texts: "When your digital news feed doesn’t contain links, when it cannot be linked to... [it] is not flawed or backwards looking or frustrating. It is broken." I prefer this connectiveness of digital news to print formats.
References
Jemisin, N. K. "The City Born Great." Tor.com. 2016. http://www.tor.com/2016/09/28/the-city-born-great/.
Johnson, Steven. "The Glass Box and the Commonplace Book." Lecture given at Columbia University, 21 April 2010. StevenBerlinJohnson.com (posted 22 April 2010). https://stevenberlinjohnson.com/the-glass-box-and-the-commonplace-book-639b16c4f3bb#.h0vlibcty
Johnson, Steven. "The Glass Box and the Commonplace Book." Lecture given at Columbia University, 21 April 2010. StevenBerlinJohnson.com (posted 22 April 2010). https://stevenberlinjohnson.com/the-glass-box-and-the-commonplace-book-639b16c4f3bb#.h0vlibcty
Striphas, Ted. "E-Books and the Digital Future." In The Late Age of Print: Everyday Book Culture from Consumerism to Control. New York: Columbia University Press, 2009.
I love how you created your own statistics of the books you read! I think I might start that in 2017 - it could be my New Year's Resolution!
ReplyDeleteI also think it's interesting how you point out that a few of Jemisin's stories may not have gotten published in print, but were instead published as digital books. I think that the digital format provides some authors with more publishing opportunities, and really anyone can publish a book - like I did for my fourth year undergrad class, "Making a Book." If it wasn't for Amazon's Create Space, that class wouldn't exist, and my classmates and I wouldn't have been able to create and publish our own books for free.
I also think it's interesting that you don't remember the books you read in digital format as well as books you've read in physical format. I've heard that when we read on screens, we tend to "skim" information rather than really absorb it. I'm not sure of the concrete research behind this, but maybe on some level that is what is happening - we form a stronger connection with the physical rather than the digital.
It's so interesting how many different kinds of books are getting published digitally now, but also like you said all the books that are getting published physically because of more accessible software and printing, like the book you made in your class! That sounds like such an amazing class and project, and it's really neat that digital design tools are making things like that more and more possible!
DeleteI'm not sure if my not remembering is a matter of skimming, because I have experienced that tendency when I read things on my computer and I don't notice it at all when I read on my ereader. My Kobo isn't backlit and the pages don't scroll, which I think helps prevent against the skimming tendency. I don't have evidence to back it up, but I really think my forgetfulness has more to do with the physicality of the book that the ebook form lacks. A lot of the time when I remember a passage of a book, I don't just remember the words, I remember the layout of the page it was on and how far through the book it took place. With ebooks, that physical presence is lacking, or at least it doesn't have a permanent form, which I think is a big part of what's affecting my memory.
And of course I would definitely recommend tracking your reading statistics, although I'm a bit biased!
I also find that I have a harder time remembering the content of digitized texts. I wonder if it's because reading in this manner just reminds me too much of using the computer for recreational purposes, and thus my brain just can't seem to fully retain the information?
ReplyDeleteThat's so true, what a great theory! I definitely also skim a lot when I read things on screens, and lately keep finding myself also skimming academic articles for school when I don't want to be skimming them! I find I can mostly disassociate my ebook screen from computer reading though, since it's not backlit and has that special ebook screen texture. I thought I read just as carefully on my ereader as a do with print books (or just as casually, since for me it's all mostly recreational reading in the end), but I only have the remembering problem with ebooks. But maybe I associate the ebook screen with my computer more strongly on a subconscious level than I realize!
DeleteThe economic point you bring up is interesting, ebooks are less of a risk to publish. This opens up the market to authors who might have been turned away by traditional print publishers, now they can self-publish ebooks without the burden of the cost.
ReplyDeleteI too used to keep track of what I read, except it was a competition, we had a checklist I got from the library of various checks such as "read a banned book," or "read a book you were supposed to have read but didn't"
I'm definitely going to have to start keeping a list of what I've read, aren't I?
DeleteI would totally recommend it!! Although I guess I'm a bit biassed in favour of reading tracking of course. It's really neat and I think worthwhile to be able to see at the end of the year what kinds of books I read, when I read the most (for some reason I always seem to read a lot in April?), how broadly I read, etc. And after doing it for 3 years now, it's interesting comparing my reading patterns over the years.
DeletePauline, that's so true, it's fascinating how ebooks are opening up more options for people to self-publish! I wonder if in the future we'll see more and more books that start exclusively digital and then only later once they gain popularity get published in print. Or are these self-published books in the kinds of genres that are mostly happy to remain as ebooks only, even if they become popular, like maybe romance novels for example?
DeleteI've recently been thinking of using Zotero to capture all of my reading habits - not just the school-related stuff.
ReplyDeleteI've never tried using Zotero to track my reading, I'll have to check that out! I've always just used an excel spreadsheet.
Delete