![]() |
| Bandcamp Logo: www.twitter.com/bandcamp |
Many aspects of the platform appeal to me: you can embed their files, share links, and stream all their music for free with only an occasional prompt to consider buying from them. Bandcamp offer artist-subscriptions for rather than the platform itself and artists can set their own prices, from free, to name-your-price, to set amounts. The platform does not lend itself to playlists as Spotify does but rather than annoy my inner mixtape-maker, it allows me to focus on entire bodies of work rather than pulling out my favourite tracks.
I had originally thought to explore Bandcamp as a midway point between ownership and service – it appears to offer aspects of both worlds, it is perhaps something of a liminal platform to borrow from Rowberry (2015). However, I have recently had experiences with the platform that presented additional questions about materiality and ephemerality in digital music.
One strange thing I encountered was disappearing releases. I first came across it when I tried to send a song link to a friend using What's App via the Bandcamp app. No matter what I did it wouldn't work. I went to the page of the artist (Aaron Roche) and the release (which I had paid for) was seemingly gone. When I looked for the release on my profile it was in a new folder called a "Private Items." I am not exactly sure of the rationale for pulling the release, but it is incredible that in a digital world, something could become ephemeral, that it might be "limited edition.”
| Screenshot of the error message on Bandcamp which appears when attempting to access a release which has been removed. |
Another release in my “Private Items” was never actually released. The artist, Donnacha Costello, used Bandcamp as a means of crowd funding a release, he had a title, a release date on which digital files would be available, and a plan to distribute the album on vinyl in the subsequent months. I paid up front and waited. In the intervening months, he changed the title of the album and added that new title to my collection (vinyl is due to arrive soon!). However, the ghost of the original planned released still exists in my “Private Items,” it is simply a title and a cover, but it is there.
| Screenshot of my own private items in Bandcamp. This are not viewable to other users. |
The final object in my “Private Items” is an album by Aaron Roche (no longer available for streaming or purchase) which contained a series of images accompanying the audio files. The images are the equivalent of liner notes. One is a photograph of a handwritten page in a notebook, signed by Aaron Roche, addressing the listener and describing the release as “the final document in the digital realm” – something that made my Future-of-the-Book antennae vibrate! The note describes the release as an attempt by the ensemble “to be honest,” going on to explain that “another account” will be made available on vinyl in the future. Whether this “account” means a completely different take on the same songs, completely new songs, or simply a reproduction of the same material, I will need to wait and see. However, I the note provides a novel language and framework for exploring born-digital texts.
![]() |
| Image bundled with the audio files in the Aaroon Roche Bandcamp release, "HaHa, HuHu." |
So (in as close as I can get to a nutshell) I think I am going to attempt to use my Bandcamp “Private Items” as a site to explore notions or permanence, ephemerality, authenticity, and representation in digital texts.
Rowberry, Simon Peter. “Ebookness.” Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies (2015): 1-18.


This sounds great Ewan! Also kind of reminds me of an article I read the other week about Anaïs Nin's book "Auletris" being, essentially, hidden from consumers in what the Guardian calls, Amazon's "adult content dungeon." The link: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/oct/28/erotic-stories-anais-nin-amazon-adult-content-dungeon-auletris. Definitely has to do with issue of permanence and representation. Really excited to see what you do with this topic!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this Taylor - that is a fascinating read. I had not seen that article and was not aware of the book or the "dungeon." Crazy that a publisher who wanted to bring a hidden book to the public has it hidden again...
ReplyDeleteI'm interested to know if these hidden items appear in those algorhytmically-produced lists on Amazon such as "Others who bought..." or in search of user reviews.
This is a really interesting topic! I don't know much about Bandcamp, but can you download the songs you buy or are they only streamable through the app? Because you also said you are receiving vinyl from Bandcamp and to me, this draws an interesting comparison between the ownership of digital vs. physical content. I'm doing my essay on DRM and e-books, and when a person purchases an e-book, they actually only purchase a license to access the e-book and do not actually own a copy. I'm wondering if it would be the same case with the Bandcamp digital files. I tried to do some digging about Bandcamp's structure, but I wasn't able to find anything so I'm not exactly sure how Bandcamp works so this might be irrelevant!
ReplyDeleteHi Laura,
ReplyDeleteYou can download and stream files from Bandcamp; the platform promotes ownership and exists as a streaming service. Once you have purchased a release, you can go back and download it from your collection as many times as you like in a variety of formats (free from any DRM): mp3, wav. aif, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis.
You can stream directly from the Bandcamp website or App (the app allows for cached tracks too, so you don't need wifi or data connection to use it). If you have not purchased a release, you can still stream tracks online, but on every two listens you are encouraged to buy the release.
Hope that helps!