For my research paper, I plan on writing about the intersection of editorial theory and literary apps. Since my time as an undergraduate, I’ve had a keen interest in editorial theory, particularly the writings of Jerome McGann. In The Textual Condition, McGann theorizes that “producing editions is one of the ways we produce literary meanings” (33, 1991). In this work, McGann is referring to printed scholarly editions, but I think the concept of an “edition” can be extended to literary apps, which, despite their diversity, demonstrate the app creator’s/editor’s interpretations and readings of the text that they’ve adapted to a digital format.
I’m fascinated by the wide range of apps that are offered, from those that resemble hyper-scholarly editions, offering texts with extensive critical material and additional multimedia (like Touch Press' The Waste Land app that we examined in class or the Folger Luminary Shakespeare Apps) to those that are less concerned with scholarly material and feature images and sound to create an interactive experience. Examples of the later that I have discovered so far include the iClassics Collection and Dave Morris’ adaptation of Frankenstein.
I’m fascinated by the wide range of apps that are offered, from those that resemble hyper-scholarly editions, offering texts with extensive critical material and additional multimedia (like Touch Press' The Waste Land app that we examined in class or the Folger Luminary Shakespeare Apps) to those that are less concerned with scholarly material and feature images and sound to create an interactive experience. Examples of the later that I have discovered so far include the iClassics Collection and Dave Morris’ adaptation of Frankenstein.
As Rowberry notes, “Although all share similar features, these
apps are heterogeneous and approach their source texts from a variety of angles…The
literary app offers a multimodal approximation of the original work rather than
a reading text” (15, 2015). I find this statement interesting for a couple of
reasons. Primarily, I agree with Rowberry that literary apps in their form and
content are incredibly diverse. The literary apps that I have explored seem to
blend different formats, borrowing elements from e-books, scholarly editions,
audiobooks, and even video games. The addition of multimedia elements, especially sound and image, seems to be common among all types of literary apps. With this in mind, is it possible to define
the literary app as a genre?
The
second point that I find interesting is that Rowberry seems to suggest that because
literary apps are primarily concerned with this “multimodality” (16, 2015), they do not
privilege a “reading text” (15, 2015). This is where I disagree with Rowberry. I
think there are certain literary apps that do privilege a reading text, and
that embody a particular reading or interpretation of the texts they adapt.
Some questions that I think are worth considering: When adapting a literary text to an app format, how much of the original narrative is diminished (or amplified)? Is the original author's intent lost? And how significant is the lack or addition of (critical) paratext? How does the addition of image and sound affect the reading experience?
With a foundation
in editorial theory, I plan on analyzing and close reading different types of literary
apps. My goal is to explore and perhaps even reach an understanding of the
editorial choices that were made during the development of these apps, and
whether these decisions and selection criteria have roots in a theoretical
approach.
References
McGann,
Jerome J. The Textual Condition.
Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1991.
Rowberry, Simon Peter. “Ebookness.” Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies (2015): 1-18.
Rowberry, Simon Peter. “Ebookness.” Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies (2015): 1-18.
Literary apps as a genre - interesting concept! They have the capacity to vary on so many levels, but ultimately the creator/s are attempting to create a specific type of experience for the reader (or consumer? maybe 'reader' isn't always the most applicable term in this case). Best of luck with your paper!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment, Tracy! I agree with you that 'reader' in this context is nuanced, especially in its relationship to consumerism. Consumerism, I think, is one force that drives the development of new technologies for reading and experiencing books (like literary apps).
ReplyDelete